As a WordPress Engineer your day-to-day includes working closely with your project managers and technical leads; responding to support tickets, running updates and doing site configuration; creating and maintaining custom themes, plugins, and documentation; and being a resource for your peers. You will be developing and maintaining sites while keeping yourself accountable to schedules, estimates, project requirements, and high standards of quality. This position is fast-paced, deals with shifting priorities, and reports to Katherine White, CTO.
Your typical work week might include:
- Building and supporting a wide variety of WordPress sites.
- Answering technical questions from others on the team.
- Writing custom themes and plugins.
- Working with git to commit your code regularly.
- Communicating regularly with your team about task estimates and progress and identifying potential problems.
- Using documented user stories, technical requirements, data models, and process flows in your development work.
- Problem-solving, collaborating, and asking questions proactively.
- Fostering an atmosphere of mutual respect with your team and on your projects.
- 3+ years of WordPress development experience or the equivalent.
- Experience working with in an agency environment and with remote teams.
- Experience identifying and surfacing potential project issues.
- Passion for the web and open source development.
- Inclusive, supportive, and thoughtful interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience with modern development tools and methods such as atomic and responsive design, gitflow, container-based environments, task runners, CSS preprocessors, IDEs, and CI/CD platforms
- Awareness of performance, security, and unix server administration.
- Exposure to a variety of project management styles (waterfall, agile, scrum)
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or related experience.