At Planning Center, we build powerful web and mobile applications for churches. Each of our eight products has a dedicated team of designers and developers committed to refining and expanding that product in response to real customer needs. Our customers include not only over 90 of the 100 largest churches in the country, but also tens of thousands of small community churches, and we strive to make day-to-day operations easier for all of them.
We’re a development driven company, founded and led by a developer. Over half our staff are either devs or designers who code! We’re seeking another developer with expertise in Ruby, Rails, and React to help make our software even better.The job
In your daily life at Planning Center, you can expect to:
Developers at Planning Center are:
- Take ownership of your projects and have a voice in how and what gets built.
- Collaborate with your product manager, front-end designer, and fellow team developers.
- Engage in a healthy culture of code reviewing and pairing alongside a team of smart, thoughtful, like-minded developers.
- Invested. We care about the products we create and the people we create them for, and we all contribute to the vision and direction of our products. Every one of our developers is critical to their team.
Curious. We aren’t afraid to ask questions, experiment, and iterate. We also love playing with fun new technologies, and we have Free Weeks every few months for exploring projects that spark our interest.
Humble. We are always looking for opportunities to grow and learn from one another.
We believe the strongest teams are made up of people with diverse backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating that diversity here at Planning Center. We are ready for the ongoing work that goes into building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do your best work.Where we work:
Planning Center is a company of about 95 people in total. About 70 of us are spread across the US in home offices and coworking spaces. Although we have a rad office building in Carlsbad, California (near San Diego) our work culture is optimized for our distributed teams. So, we rely heavily on tools like Slack, Basecamp, and video conferencing throughout the day. A few times a year we gather together for team retreats.
When and how we work:
Planning Center is serious about work-life balance. We take meaningful steps to avoid burnout and it's the main reason we have an absurdly low employee turnover across the entire company. We avoid deploying on Fridays, we mute Slack notifications on the weekends, we don't feel guilty about vacations or sabbaticals, and we trust people with their time.
What to expect if you apply:
Here's what the entire application process looks like:
- Submit your resume by April 3, 2020.
- We'll have a quick and casual phone call (10-15 minutes) to introduce ourselves and to double check that this position is the type of position that you are interested in and could be a good fit for.
- You'll be sent a programming exercise covering the basics of the tech stack that we use at Planning Center (Ruby, Rails, and React). This is an opportunity for you to see a glimpse of the kind of work you'd be doing here, and for us to begin evaluating technical skills.
- A live pair programming exercise with our team. Someone from our team will type as the two of you work through a pair programming exercise together. There are no whiteboards and no typing! You'll get to meet another potential future co-worker, and we'll get a glimpse into how you work as we make some tests pass together.
- Pack your bags, you're coming to San Diego! The final step is a day in our San Diego office where you'll get to meet our leadership team and members of your potential new product team. It will be a full day of interviews with different people where we'll both have lots of chances to find out if we're a good fit for each other.
- It's offer time! Throughout all the previous steps, your expertise and experience have been assessed against our well defined developer levels and the salary amount of the offer will be decided solely based on that assessment. At Planning Center, every developer of the same skill level makes the same amount (plus a small bonus for seniority). We aim to pay at the 90th percentile for each level based on research from Payscale.
- Eligible to work in the United States.
- If remote, must be willing to travel to the office four times each year to connect with the rest of the team in person.
- Proven experience as a full stack developer (or similar role) using Ruby, Rails, and React.
We love our people and want this to be the best place for them to work. In addition to a competitive salary (starting between $100,000 - $150,000
depending on expertise), we offer:
- Full health, dental, and vision coverage
- Company contribution to a 401(k)
- Mobile phone stipend
- Co-working stipend
- Health stipend for counseling or a gym membership
- Charitable giving match
- Paid maternity, paternity, or bonding leave
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Paid Fridays off in the summer
- Continual education allowance for books, videos, or conferences
- Free weeks every several months to work on a project of your choosing
We'll provide all the things you need to get your job done. That includes a laptop, monitor, standing desk, and chair.
Work from Anywhere in the USA
We are dedicated to hiring the best talent available; part of working at Planning Center is the option to work remote! We fly our remote team into the office once every quarter, so you can enjoy the nice California weather and connect with the rest of the team (75% of which is remote).
If you've applied in the past, feel free to apply again!