Loco2 is looking for experienced Ruby engineers to join our existing team, where you'll help us maintain and improve our existing infrastructure, integrate new rail operator booking systems and scale effectively for our rapidly expanding user base.
This is a Full-time, working office hours, usually from 9.30-6 GMT. There’s flexibility in working hours and we offer a generous holiday allowance, and a salary that reflects your experience.
This is a remote position, you might however, be required to visit the office at Old Street to attend to business meetings, events, and so on.
- Our software stack consists of a pure-Ruby backend library which we use to communicate with train booking APIs, a modern Rails application, a PostgreSQL database, and two native mobile applications (iOS and Android).
- We’re integrated with multiple rail operator booking systems (with our current team we usually complete at least 1-2 major integrations each year), and we’re increasingly consuming other types of data too (e.g. timetable data for routing, real-time arrivals/departures etc).
- We need to diligently manage technical complexity, as each external system works in a slightly different way, with its own features and quirks. SOAP is (unfortunately) used by many operator APIs, which is why we released our open source library, LolSoap.
- Some of the most difficult challenges we face relate to routing and making sense of lots of data. Which routes are best to get from A to B? Which booking systems should be queried? How might we cache data without affecting accuracy of results?
- We’ve recently released mobile applications for iOS and Android. Further developing our mobile strategy is a key goal for the business.
- Because Loco2 is the merchant of record for all transactions we are also responsible for fraud prevention, and handling currency and other finance-related issues.
- We frequently release new features that drive rapid organic growth, and so it’s vital that we anticipate and address scaling challenges before they occur.
Essential Skills & Experience
- Has 4+ years of professional programming experience
- Has deep knowledge and experience of Ruby
- Is fluent in English and confident communicating and sharing complex information and learnings with both technical and non-technical team members
- Has a good working knowledge of modern devops technologies such as Docker
- Is comfortable designing object oriented software from scratch, not just implementing CRUD Rails apps; a pragmatist who can see the trade-offs involved in the different approaches to solving a problem
The ideal candidate
- Strives to discover and understand the root cause of problems, suggesting new and improved solutions, rather than treating the symptoms.
- Actively considers future maintainability when deciding how to implement something.
- Has a keen appetite for self-improvement and growth, but doesn't hesitate to ask for help when needed.
- Enjoys getting their teeth stuck into complicated problems, as well as being willing to pitch in on some of the more routine tasks which inevitably arise.
- Is willing to participate in an on-call rota to cover technical emergencies out of hours.
- Can work hours that have some overlap with London daytime.
- Is motivated by Loco2's mission.
Some questions we'd like you to include in your application:
- What are some of the most challenging/interesting programming tasks you have worked on?
- Why do you want to work for Loco2?
- In what country and timezone do you live?
- What are your approximate salary expectations? (please state currency)
To apply: https://loco2.com/en/careers/software-engineer
About Loco2 Ltd
Working at Loco2
Loco2 is a fast-growing company based in London, with a vision to make overland travelling simpler and more accessible than ever before.
We recently became part of the large Oui-SNCF group. Our current headquarters are located near Old Street Station, however, lots of our team work remotely.
We continually endeavour to recruit driven, talented and energetic people, from all backgrounds, who share a commitment to our core values: integrity, transparency, respect and teamwork.
People can pursue a variety of roles, responsibilities and functions during their careers at Loco2, as well as gaining broader experience of working within a fast-growing start-up context which is infused in a large scale international organisation.
Loco2’s success has always been built on trust, empathy and shared knowledge.
We work in teams.
We combine efforts to achieve the results and deliver our strategy.
We respect each other and are always willing to help one another.
We aim to treat our colleagues as our customers, this means being fair and transparent at all times in all our dealings with them.
We work responsibly with our stakeholders.
We aim to be as efficient as possible in our use of resources.
We ensure fairness, honesty, accuracy, and transparent disclosure.
We respect our society and the environment.
Operating as we do in a competitive environment, we work with people who share our values and objectives. We are committed to providing our employees with high-quality working conditions, acknowledging their personal value in an environment that promotes equality, respect and reliability.
We respect the uniqueness and intrinsic value of every individual.
We have a working environment, that respects Human Rights and which is free of discrimination, harassment, bullying or victimization of any kind.
We are committed to providing equal opportunities to all our members of staff.
We evaluate performance objectively and constructively.
We receive regular feedback from our staff which enables us to improve.
We offer competitive pay, flexibility, and benefits to our employees which involves:
Remote friendly culture.
Flexible working hours.
Generous and flexible holiday entitlement - including extra time off for train-based holidays.
Generous Maternity and Paternity Leave entitlement.
Breakfast, fresh fruit and grandmother-approved snacks available to all of our staff in the office as we promote a healthy lifestyle.
Organised events which bring everyone together.
Recruitment and selection process
The procedures may vary according to the role you are seeking whether you are applying for a general or a specialised role.
Tests and online assessments measure job skills, reasoning and problem-solving. These abilities are considered relevant to the role and past experience. For most of our online assessments, we anonymise responses in order to mitigate unconscious bias and to ensure fairness in the process.
They also measure the ability to apply knowledge to work-related situations based on each role specifications. These situations may include:
Written reports, written data and facts and logically deriving conclusions from them.
Financial outcomes or performance figures to make effective decisions.
Structured interviews measure job-related competencies of candidates by orderly inquiring about their behaviour in past experiences. Structured interviews are more personal than other assessment methods and ensure that candidates are assessed accurately and consistently.
At Loco2, we recruit based on merit and we are committed to promoting diversity throughout our organisation. We encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, and other protected characteristics.